Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Was Seated One Day at the Organ



A few weeks ago, the stake decided to start giving lessons for those who know piano but don't
know how to play the organ. That would be me. I faked it when I worked at the temple in Billings and played prelude before sessions quite often. I even used both keyboards and an occasional pedal. Now that I am taking the lessons, I found out that I have been using the wrong hands on the wrong keyboards and the wrong foot on the pedals. I did pretty well faking how to play legato (smooth and connected) and I was even told several times how beautiful the prelude was. You can only fake it for so long. Now I go to the church two days a week to practice and try to unlearn what I had taught myself and that is hard.

I love to listen to our ward organist who plays with great feeling, uses just the right tempo and doesn't play so loud that you can't hear yourself sing. She also plays beautiful versions of hymns.
Sharon Loiseau is her name and she is my teacher. I know I will never master the organ because I don't have that drive to, but I love learning the basics and since I never really understood the stops Nd settings before, now I can at least play for my own amusement and even enjoyment.
We are supposed to do a recital number in April and I plan to be sick on that day.


3 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

Way to go Joan! I knew Sharon was giving these lessons, but I had no idea you were going. How could you have kept something so life altering from me when I told you I was taking piano? Oh, and just so you know, I will also be sick if my teacher even mentions the word recital.

Yolanda said...

Holy Cow! Our talents never end!

A Musing Mother said...

What day? I won't be sick.

Hey, did you know you won my drawing?

Did you know if you don't send me your address I will keep the dress or give it to my sister?

Just thought you should know.