Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

National Homemade Cookie Day


Did you know that Oct. 1st is National Homemade Cookie Day? I didn't either until I saw it on two different sites so of course I need to go make some NOW and so do you. Share them with your neighbors. Is there any better cookie than chocolate chip? Even with all the variations, I'd never spit one out. I also love peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips in them. I got my chocolate chip cookie recipe 35 years ago and it's still my favorite even though I've tried many. Amy has perfected it but we usually get only half of the cookies it says because we eat the dough. The peanut butter recipe was perfected by my daughter Colett. She added the chocolate chips to it once and it's been a favorite ever since. I am still looking for the perfect oatmeal raisin cookie so if you have it...fork it over please! I like mine chewy and moist, not puffy or dry. The Hero's sandwich shop in Billings, MT had a great one but of course it no longer exists and the Perkins Restaurant in Billings makes a great one, but again, we don't have that restaurant here. I make a mean ginger snap and sugar cookie and maybe some day I'll add those recipes too. But for today, let the chips will fly.


Joan's Chocolate Chippers ... makes 2 dozen...bake at 375 for 8 minutes or until barely browned
my oven takes longer

Mix together:

1 c. shortening ( I like to use 1/2 c. Crisco and 1/2 c. real butter... no margarine... and only use Crisco. I have tried other shortenings and it's just not the same. If you use all butter, they will flatten out too much)
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar (packed)

Add:
1/2 t. soda
1 1/2 t. salt (it may sound like a lot but for the flavor you need this much)
2 c. flour
2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips .... Nestles or Ghirardelli... no store brands here either and even Hershey's doesn't taste the same in this recipe)
1 c. chopped pecans if desired (which I do and my daughters don't)

Stir until mixed and bake on greased cookie sheet. Eat while they are hot, even if it they your mouth. Nobody waits until they cool.

Peanut Butter Cookies 375 degrees for about 11 minutes but watch and don't over bake

Mix together:

1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. shortening
1/4 c. softened butter
1 egg

Add:

1 1/4 c. flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Stir in chocolate chips if desired
Mix together and bake on cookie sheet ( I spray with PAM first)

Now as you know, if you break them apart before you eat them, the calories fall out so enjoy!

7 comments:

Susan said...

National Cookie Day, I like that idea. Homemade cookies are a real weakness for me. First, I eat the dough, then I have 4 or 5 fresh from the oven with a glass of milk. Later, when the cookies have cooled, I have a few more with a cup of coffee. That is why I don't make them much anymore. Happy baking!

Amy said...

Maybe the recipes should be called "Amy's Chocolate Chippers" and "Colett's Peanut Butter Cookies". Let's give credit where credit is due! Those recipes would be total crap if it wasn't for us! HA HA!

Margaret Kay said...

Soooo, can I leave out half the sugar and add more nuts?

*ethan* said...

those look fantastic, maybe me and the kids need to stop by !

Special K 24/7 said...

I had no idea I just missed out on a great Day to celebrate! I LOVE Homemade Cookies!!! Seriously, I could live off of them (and fresh fruit). I have really cut back on my baking, but I am going to have to pull out the apron!

Colett (*.*) said...

I wish I had been told about this holiday sooner, I could have joined in on the baking fun! I didn't get one from you yesterday either. bummer.

jody said...

yum!!!! I do love the peanut butter cookies, Dane not so much.

Now if you need cookies ASAP try the costco frozen Otis Spunkmyer"s chocolate chip they will do in a pinch and are good!