Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Amy did a "tag" on her blog about finding the beauty in your yard. While I was gone to book club, she and Wayne found this cherry on my cherry tree. It's not that it is such a beautiful cherry, it's that it is my FIRST cherry and my ONLY cherry. We have had the tree for 5 years and although it is a very pretty tree it has never produced. I gave up on it...and may yet...but it was such fun to see this lone cherry before the birds found it. It was exciting to me to just think of the possibilities. Maybe next year I will have enough to make Mom's cherry pudding. The following pictures are the things I love about my yard and the beauty I find in it.
I have a thing for antiques and although this is not one it has the feeling. Lots of beauty here.
I don't remember how it started but each Mother's Day I ask for something for my yard. I have a garden cart, garden shoes, gloves, tools, etc. This was my favorite. Wayne built this potting bench. It is redwood, has a galvanized top and back, a drawer for my tools, a bin for my dirt, hooks and shelves and wheels on the bottom. It is needing a little TLC right now. It has weathered a bit, warped some, and needs a good cleaning but it took a lot of time and effort to do and I feel loved every time I look at it. Smack, kiss, smooch Wayne.
Colett brought this little wind ornament to me one time after she'd been on a trip. It twirls in the breeze and the big green marble sparkles in the sun...so cute.


This is the front of the tool shed. There is a bench on the porch that Wayne sits on to survey his kingdom and to cool off when he is tired from his labors.
When we first bought our home, there was a wire fence behind the house and no homes on either side. This old sign was on that back fence and was covered by overgrown shrubs and weeds. Margaret and I spotted it and she helped me cut it out of the weeds and we put it up in the garden to warn people of my fierce toy poodle...grrrrrr, woof, woof..... that loves company and barks when you leave because he doesn't want you to go.
These are chimes I got at an art show. They are brass tubes...quite large...that were tuned with an oscillascope so they are in perfect pitch. When the wind blows they play beautiful tunes to me. The problem is, we sometimes have 80 m.p.h. winds and then (and only then), they drive me crazy. I have to run and hook them up.
This was a start from Mom and Dad's pussy willow. I think propagation is a wonderful way to get cheap plants and so far I do have a few. I especially love the ones from our parent's homes. Wayne has a start of a peony from his Mom who is gone now, so we hope it survives.
I am proud of this ganala maple. I brought a little twig start from Montana and planted it. We waited and waited and thought it was dead, but now it's doing great and in the fall it turns bright red.
This is a rock wall that Wayne, Amy and I built. Wayne first built the wall out of cinder blocks and then we faced it with cobblestones, filled it with dirt and now we have a planter that spans the length of the back fence. We love it, it's unique, and one of my favorite places in the yard.
This look is one you will see a lot in our landscaping. I'm not one for the industrial, straight lines. I like in it other people's homes but it's just not me. I like curves, curves and more curves. This is my deck bench. I'm sure those who design these things work hard to make them beautiful so I try to look carefully at the beauty in my everyday things. In the next few pictures you will see my love for iron, for movement, and for artistic balance in the designs.
This is a little candle holder with a bird on top made of brown iron. It holds a tea light but the wind blows her so much that it usually just sits as a decoration on my patio.
Doesn't this bench have pretty lines?
This is a corner of our black iron patio down below the deck. Notice the curved lines and finials
It has always been a decorating style I have liked. In my heart I live in the Mediterranean I guess. When Spanish decor was "in" in the 70's I was very happy.
This is an iron decoration I picked up at Rod Works. It hangs above the bench on the shed porch. I love the flourishes and curls on it.
This is a candle holder that Colett no longer wanted. I painted it black and put it on my patio. It has cutout dragonflies on it and I think it's pretty darn cute.
At the bottom of the deck steps are these stepping stones. Once again we were off on a quest to find just the right shape and size of stones. We went to a brick and rock yard to get them. I wanted the curved edges to round off towards the deck. They charged by the pound instead of the rock. Whoa....we won't do that again.
How can you not love these....my baby peaches. I know it's time to cull out the extras but I just can't bring myself to do it. Wayne has to do the dirty deed. I somehow feel like a murderer if I just pull some off and throw them away. Do I want bigger nicer peaches or more tiny ones? That is the reality of the deed.
I am a real fan of quaking aspen trees and we have several in the yard. These are my favorite because they give shade to the windows in the back, privacy from the neighbors and they are close to the deck so when the wind blows we can hear the shuffling of the leaves, which then reminds me of the sounds in the Big Horn Mountains. LOVE IT!!
There are many things about this front flower garden that I love. My tree is one of them. It is a pine tree that will grow fairly tall but not big around. We had to look a long time to find this one because it's a columnar variety that is fairly new. I love my tall grass, the iris that are transplanted from Mom's yard and the rocks that I scavenged from all the empty lots around me at the time. Then of course there are the flowers in my favorite color....RED!
This is one of my favorite things in the yard. I really wanted a large boulder in the front of the house. Wayne and I had checked several rock yards before I found this one. I didn't want it jagged, or too smooth or too small. When we bought it, we loaded it in the pickup (which really gave the axle a test) and drove the pickup onto the lawn to it's final resting place. The neighbor came over to help Wayne unload it and it just happened to land in the exact spot that I had chosen with the side facing outward exactly like I had planned. We didn't have to move it at all. It's hard to tell it's size from the picture but it's about 2 1/2 feet tall and almost 3 feet wide
I really like the brick on my house and the center block that reminds me of a keystone. It also showcases the curved windows high above the front door. I think I appreciate brick more than most because my Dad was a bricklayer.

Look at this cute little duck. I had never noticed it before until I did this "tag" hunt. It is on the cover of the electric box to the air conditioner. Somebody designed this little item and will never receive accolades because it's one of those things that you just don't notice.
Colett got these Hollyhock plants for Wayne for Father's Day. Yes, that is what he wanted. They are a VERY dark maroon color that look black unless the sun shines on them. They really look nice next to out little old fashioned garden.
This is our little garden. It's not large but oh the yummy tomatoes we harvest. We grow just enough corn to eat fresh along with some squash, potatoes and green beans. Even if for some crazy reason I couldn't eat anything I would still plant a garden just to see it grow. How do those little seeds turn into these beautiful and varied plants. Truly there is a God.
I love the colors of the flag and am also very grateful for this country so I fly my flag a lot. I fly it for all the holidays and then from July 4th to the 24th until Pioneer Day is over. It is s little high for me to reach so when the wind blows I have to wait for Wayne to unwrap it from the pole. I have gone through 3 flags since we moved here.
I've never been one to like cutesy things in my yard but Amy got me this little mini-gnome for my front flower bed. I can't say I love it and she knows it....it was a joke....at least I think it was. Anyway it has gotten to be one now. I let it sleep in the lemon thyme and eventually it will be covered and disappear. Then Amy comes along and finds it and puts it back out. The thyme grows quickly and will soon disappear again. Ah, tradition.

This is an interesting find in our front yard. Someone put this rock (with a lady bug carved on it) in our front rock area. I have no idea who put it there but lady bugs are supposed to be good luck so we think it's pretty cute.
We built a shed in the back to hold the lawn mower, garden tools and storage items. We couldn't just let it look like a shed so Wayne designed it with a porch, a window with shutters, a park bench, a front light and a flower box. We can look at it when we are sitting on the deck and it is so homey. The granddaughters wanted to know when the play house would be done.
This is an antique watering can that Ipicked up at a store in Montana. I love that it sprays so simply and evenly and I use it to fertilize my plants.
I guess the things I like the most are the texture, color and shape of things. I also just like the"stuff"....I really like my stuff. I could let it go if I had to, but since I don't I will enjoy it and be grateful that I have it. My soul delighteth in beautiful things and it was fun to look for those things in my own back yard.

8 comments:

jody said...

You have always had a beautiful yard and this one looks outstanding!!!! Way to go Wayne O for making it look so nice and Just Joan for the design.

Colett (*.*) said...

I want a duck on my electrical box, no fair! I also want to know who put a secret ladybug rock in your yard, that's weird. Beautiful yard, like I always say, I'm glad I'm not your next door neighbor, your yard would make mine look like a trailer park.

Shon O said...

I wish I could read what you wrote but for some reason your new layout puts half of what you typed over the brown back ground and since the type is brown as well, I can not read it. I do love the pictures though.

Kee said...

So much fun! I love your yard, it is beautiful this year. I can;t decide what my favorite is, but I really love the rock wall in the back!

Amy said...

Love the blog entry. Isn't it fun to find "treasures" in your own yard! I love the surprise of the ladybug rock. Perfect example of why I loved this tag!

Anonymous said...

Your yard and home look beautiful. I think I need some of your talent, decorating flair and "love of life" to rub off on me right now. I just finished watering my flowers and all I could think of was that I wasted a whole lot of money this year. Not a good year for my yard.

jody said...

love the new look onthe blog...way to go Just joan

Alex said...

grandma i love the little stone ladybug its so cool