Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Thief Among Us

Oh hi Fozzie, good boy for going potty. Do you want a treat?
Yes, he gets a treat every time he goes. I used to give him cheese for training purposes and he trained very quickly. Forget the dog treats, I used what worked....what he loved. He never had accidents in the house.
Wait one minute, what have you got in your mouth? If the truth be known, Fozzie "LOVES" tomatoes even as much as cheese. I planted him his own cherry tomato bush so that when he goes out he can just pick a tomato off the plant while he is outside and that is his summer potty treat. When he came running in today, he had gotten in the garden while I was picking tomatoes and plucked a big one out of my pan and ran into the house. I didn't want him burying a tomato in the guest bed or putting it in a shoe for later, so I grabbed him and put him outside on the deck. He just stood there with the tomato hanging out his mouth. This is at 11:51.


This is at 11:53. He hasn't moved a muscle. He is waiting for his chance to run back inside. Now two minutes is not really a long time unless you are standing still, trying not to drop your prize and trying to get by your owner. It seemed like forever to me too.

He turns and runs down the steps and onto the lawn.

He drops his prize

and looks to see if I am going to take it away. No, I go get a knife and cut it up for him. I know he is spoiled.

He had taken a few small nibbles so it wasn't salvageable anyway.
The next time I harvest, I will shut the gate to the garden behind me because I know, given the chance, he would be a thief once again.

6 comments:

A Musing Mother said...

Even though I'd be unhappy about a dog eating my tomatoes, he still might be easier than Sunday.

Wanna trade?

Amy said...

That darn dog! What are we going to do with him? I know - let's give him hugs and kisses for being so quirky and cute!

Colett (*.*) said...

naughty puppy, doesn't he know that those tomatoes are like gold? He is just a dog and not worthy of a prize that I have not had enough of yet!!!! Spank his buns.

Kaye said...

What a cutie. It's hard to be mad at our furry babies. Lewis is a master thief. . . and he's big enough to take things off the counter. He is incorrigable!!!

Live From Mommyville... said...

That darling puppy of yours has very healthy taste in food!

Kee said...

That is so cute. I had forgotten how much he loves tomatoes.