Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

My antique iron rack from an old SLC restaurant

My antique sideboard....I will change out the knobs


Here are a few of my favorite hatpins


I've really never thought of myself as a "collector". I throw things out and then think, "I should have kept that." I change out my decor fairly often and really don't like clutter at all. I have realized that I am pretty sentimental though, and feel a connection to old things. My favorite piece of furniture is an old sideboard cupboard that I got at a garage sale. It just spoke to me and I HAD to have it. I didn't have all the money to buy it at the time, but the man who owned it took half down and said he'd hold it until the next day. He kept his word even though he had several people offer him more than I paid. I also have an old iron rack and shelf from an antique store in Salt Lake and I have several smaller antiques such as pitchers, a scale, watering cans, and antique hatpins. I really love them all and often wish I knew the stories behind them. I notice my daughters like these things too. They have more modern leanings and mix those items with their antiques. My likes are more traditional, and there is something about good "old" things that make a home feel warm and inviting. When I started collecting hatpins, you could get one for about $50.00. Now I think my collecting days are over because you rarely find a good one for under several hundred dollars. If you have any you want to get rid of, please let me know.


2 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

I love your post Joan. What a great idea to put up pictures of all of your homes. I'm also love the hat pins--didn't even know you collected them. By the way--My post name is MOM,just so you know. I'm not smart enough to even know how to change it.
Anyway, you are inspiring me.

MOM/SUSAN said...

Duh! I didn't even identify myself. MOM is Susan. Just so you know.