Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Popcorn

Who doesn't love popcorn?  OK, there is nothing that smells better in the kitchen than bread baking, but popcorn is a close second.  We used to always make popcorn in our air or handle turning poppers.  It was really good and was fun to watch as it popped. At other times I would just use a heavy pan with oil in the bottom and it turned out even better.  Along came the microwave and the poppers were relegated to the basement and the pan is now used for just veggies.   Microwave popcorn is also good but really not as good as the poppers or pan method because sometimes there is a residual chemical taste.  I was reading my Food Channel magazine this week and found a recipe for making my own microwave popcorn.  It is Ellie Kreiger's recipe and I am going to try it.  You don't always know what ingredients you are getting in microwave corn and she says this is her favorite. This way you can monitor the oil and chemical content.


Toss 1/4 cup popcorn kernels in a small bowl with 1/2 teaspoon peanut oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Pout it all in a paper lunch bag with the top folded over a few times.  Microwave about 2 minutes or until the popping almost stops.  She says it comes out perfectly and with 1/3 less calories than regular microwave popcorn and no additives.  Try it and let me know what you think.

If the truth be known, I love theatre popcorn with all the artificial stuff and real butter at home.  Good thing I don't have it very often.

1 comment:

AmandaS said...

Oh yum! We are having a "movie night" with the kids tonight and were planning on making popcorn anyway. Maybe I'll try this! Except, I don't have peanut oil, maybe canola oil will work?