Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Changed My Mind

I had a hallmark birthday yesterday and was not happy about it.  I have never had a birthday bother me before.  I turned 30 with glee, 40 was wonderful, 50 was fine but 60????  I was mad, mad, mad.  Then I got a couple of phone calls.  A friend from Montana (age 57) passed away in a diabetic coma, another dear friend and sister-in-law (age 59) has more health problems than about anyone I know and is just trying to keep going, and  my Dad's friend just passed away.  I got to thinking (sometimes a dangerous thing, but in this case a good thing) and my attitude truly changed.  I don't embrace 60 but I accept it now.  I am surrounded by a loving and generous family, I have most of my health, I have a beautiful home and all the necessities of life and many of the NOT necessary but fun things.  I am blessed with gifts and abilities from my Father in Heaven and have no reason at all to be sour.  I repented.


The family came over for dinner on Sunday night.   Wayne had made chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. One of my childhood favorites.  Colett made me a lemon cake with strawberry ice cream that was more than delicious.  My little grand daughters had each made me a birthday card and Millie said she loved me so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so (yes 9 so's...I counted them).  That just melted my heart right there.


My soon to be 14 year old Nick gave me hugs


My son-in-law picked out my silly and racy birthday card


My hubby not only cooks, but cleans up after himself


Grandson Emerson laughs and finds fun in a cardboard box


Daughter Colett gave me pretty new scarf and a new "red" purse, which happens to be my favorite color.


After opening it, the kids had a ball just playing with the paper stuffed in it.


Here they are.  Won't I be stylish?


This is the bad part.  It is what 60 candles looks like....unlit,


and this is what it looks like when lit.  The heat was so intense I had to back away.
On Monday I went to lunch with dear friends Susan, Tricia and Laura and they showered me with gifts and sparkling conversation, my Facebook friends sent me birthday wishes and I got a visit from my sister and phone calls from my loved ones.


This was dinner on Monday night, also cooked by Wayne.   See why I keep him?


Not too many things better than salad, crab with lemon butter and


hot French bread.  He also got me a black purse and shoes.
The only down side was that Amy is very sick with her new pregnancy and I was not allowed to take pictures of her.  She was here, I was not snubbing her.
There is also a rumor that another friend is bringing me the best creme' brulee' in the world today.  I am waiting at my door.  If it doesn't happen that's OK.  It's the thought that counts right?  It was a very good 60th birthday after all.  Hold on I am hyperventilating, but now I am going to try to embrace the # 60.

4 comments:

AmandaS said...

Happy Birthday Joan! There is really something to be said for being "content with the things alloted to {us}"! You're a fabulous 60! And, 60 is the new 40, right?

Yolanda said...

Happy Birthday dear Joan! I hope to be just as young looking as you when I turn 60. 60? No way!

Colett (*.*) said...

please remind me of this good advice in 105 days when it is my turn.

Jem said...

I agree with Colett. Im hyperventilating just thinking about it. I will have to go back and read your blog on that day. Happy Birthday, gorgeous!