Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Arizona Day 1

Wayne had a business trip planned for Arizona last week. I had been doing a lot of snow shoveling and shivering lately and was feeling jealous that he got to go to a warmer climate for a few days. He decided that I could come along, so on a whim he bought me a plane ticket. We left on the afternoon of February 4th.
You have to be at the airport 2 hours in advance of your flight now with all the security measures. I was afraid that I would be picked for the full body scan x-ray because for some reason I always get picked. I did the last two trips we took. Do I look like a terrorist? This time I got to go right through. We landed in Phoenix, and made our way to Wickenburg, the site of his meeting the following day.
We flew Southwest and since the plane wasn't full, we got all three seats. This is a picture out my window saying bye-bye snow.
Wayne rents the car. You will see it in a picture below. Don't rent a 2 door Oldsmobile. It was cute but uncomfortable, the windows were hard to see out of, and we felt every bump in the road. Maybe that's why they are going out of business.

On the way to our destination
It is a green looking desert here with cacti that we had never seen before.
We stayed at the Best Western in Wikenburg. The front of each room was really cute with little patios and a Spanish design. They sent us to a different area of the motel and when we got our key and this was our room front. Huh? It was clean but that's about it. The toilet paper holder was hung way under the sink and I couldn't even find it. Wayne did, but I just used the extra role because it was too hard to reach. The TV was an old admiral set that had all the lines and snow of the 60's models. It still had HGTV though. Then at night we found we were right next to a train...noisy... and a big dog that barked a lot. I didn't get much sleep. Am I complaining? Not much. It was still a good day, warm and a new experience.

What was this strange tree next to the swimming pool? You will notice that all the bottom fruit is missing.

This is a tile mural on the side of the motel. I loved it.

On the sidewalks everywhere you walked, you could see fake...excuse me....faux animals. It was pretty cute.
We went to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant with one of Wayne's business associates. He had lived there and knew the paces to go. He was right. We had a wonderful Mexican dinner. I have been looking for a good chimichanga for years and this place delivered. I am excited for day 2.

No comments: